A Split-Second Weight Loss Machine


A Modicum of Anonymity | A Split-Second Weight Loss Machine

That is exactly what I want right now, and it is something I remember from a collection of science fiction stories I read in the mid-90's when I was a little over 10 years old. The title was 2014 if I remember it correctly.

My sheer interest in reading science fiction started when I came across my brother's collection of "Choose Your Own Adventure" a few years before. There were only bits and pieces I could remember from those pocketbooks, though.

Going back to 2014, I remember this part because it annoyed me. It certainly was not the most interesting. It annoyed me because why would anyone want to lose weight without working out? Then, I got older, and so on.

Despite the annoyance, I will continue. The story had a store that sold the most delicious ice cream in town. Imagine cookie dough plus caramel, topped with belgian chocolate in a cup. It got so popular that everyone got addicted to it. I know, calorie alert. The disturbing (and probably brilliant) part was a machine they created to make you lose 5 kilos (just about) for let us say, $1 (just about as well). 

Cheap. Catch was they had to pinch you every time you used the machine.

The ice cream got so addictive that the weight-losing "microwave" machine (book was written in the 80's, I think) was always crowded with customers. Some of them used it too often that the pinches left their wrists almost black from all the bruising.

Hey, it is almost 2014. It wouldn't hurt to have that around by then.

Then again, we can just run it all off. Check out one of my favorite running videos from one of my favorite workout brands, Nike - "I Would Run To You."


Share:

0 comments