I Try To Sleep

I love trains, and I would prefer traveling by train to a destination if I were given a choice, especially during those times that I need to arrive at a city that takes a few hours to get to. Because of this, I've had several experiences when it comes to traveling by train, throughout different seasons and hours.

For example, have you ever tried standing next to the sliding door of an old train during a snowstorm and while in transit?

Traveling in an old train feels like it will explode and just fall apart at any given time. The snow starts to look like electricity passing from the top to the bottom part of the window of a black screen.

It only looks like this on a small window, of course, and only by the area near the window of the door, nowhere else.

The view is different on the other areas of the train, yes.

I would also be able to ride on modern trains, where the chairs are more spacious and relaxing, you could even charge your mobile phone and laptops via sockets under the tables or seats.

I usually ride the train a little after 6:30 am. The irony is that I do, sometimes, get a good seat, try to sleep, and actually succeed in doing so, but I never thought anybody would be so alive and talking out loud right before 7am.

Boy, was I wrong. There goes my sleep.


One time, I got seated next to someone who talked nonstop, while laughing on the phone. In the entire carriage where no one else was talking, I had to be seated next to THAT person. Sometimes, it would be next to a group of women going to the city to hang out and they just had to take that early train out. 

Shopping, THAT early?

It's not just noise that could not make me sleep.


Have you ever felt so tired and worked up that your body does not shift to rest mode anymore?

There are also those faces of fellow passengers when they know they just had a brilliant idea, or those who look happy to be with their colleagues and they talk animatedly about their accomplishments.

Now, if only they spoke in a language I could fully understand, THEN MAYBE I would also find their conversations amusing.








I don't like to be frustrated, but I don't want to be sedated.
It's like trying to sleep in a bed on fire,
a change must come no matter how.
- "Bed On Fire", Ralf Gyllenhammar



Share:

0 comments