Parents are Our First Teachers Even Before We Go To School

Watching the contrasting lives in this video, it made me reflect on how my parents raised us and strove hard to enroll us in private schools. My siblings and I grew up living neither the life of the girl on the left, nor the boy on the right. Though we weren't rich or poor, we've lived a comfortable middle-class life. 

From my dad who was a fisherman from the province to a janitor in Makati after WW2, landing an office job and becoming one of Dr. Zuellig's most-trusted employees from the 60's, with my mom who was then starting out in Sampaguita Pictures as a part-time actress and dropped everything to be with my dad, they were able to give us everything we NEEDED. They shouldered the difficulty that should have been ours just so we could attain good education for our future.

I am forever thankful for what they have done for us. I did not appreciate it when I was younger: all I saw was the hard discipline and strict punishment when one did not follow rules, had failing grades, and lost focus on attaining a goal. 

If there was a problem, they taught us that the quickest way was to skip the complaints and start finding solutions.

They emanate strength. At almost 80, nearly two decades after my dad has retired from office work, he is still one of the incumbent Barangay captains in our city who has been consistently elected to office since the 1980's. My mom, though in and out of the hospital lately (and hopefully will be home again by this weekend), has always been by his side supporting and guiding him through difficult situations.

A Modicum of Anonymity | Parents are Our First Teachers Even Before We Go To School

Looking back now, I have not been strong as they were, to have pulled all of us out of a rut and made it seem like a walk in the park. I miss being with them, and the strength and moral support they have always willingly given me as parents would, to their children.

So we talk everyday. Yes, every day. If I don't get to call, I send a video or text message. I am grateful that I am still guided by their light at this age, and at their age. 

Because education, whether you get it from school that is 7 minutes away by car or a grueling 2.5 hour walk to civilization, is essentially learning something valuable, and THAT is what parents give us from the moment we are born. 

They are our very first teachers.

So, how about calling or texting your parents later? Maybe a family member? Let them know you think of them because hey, we just learned that love is such a powerful thing, and that is where we draw most of our strength from :)

Good night, Sweden. 

Good morning, Philippines.




Share:

0 comments