Stereotyping: It Is What It Is

A couple of years ago, I would have been enraged by what happened today. 

Let me first just try to explain what I think about stereotypes, and the endless amount of people who just would not do away with both. Although these are two separate things, I believe that there is not much difference between them.

For me, stereotyping others can be compared to a meringue cake with two layers. The base having vanilla cake, fruit salad that has been soaked in sugar, and whipped cream. The top would only have plain store-bought meringue. It's a load of trouble for your blood sugar level, cheap, and eating it would do you more harm than good BUT you eat it anyway.








I am currently taking English lessons for reasons I cannot mention, but let me just say that it is not because I need the subject (at least I hope not). Let us just say that I need the curriculum points the English class is equivalent to, plus the fact that it actually is an interesting subject.

Anyway, we were asked to read George Orwell's "Animal Farm". Last week, I reserved half a day for reading the entire book in one sitting, while taking notes. In class today, we were grouped and given questions to further discuss it. There came a point when I glanced on my notes to refer to something, and I felt my group mates turn silent. I assumed that they were probably wondering why I had notes in the first place.

"I had time," said I, smiling slyly while flipping through the book, trying to "break the ice". 

One of my Swedish classmates asked, "Don't you have kids?"

A couple of years ago, I would have definitely been enraged, yes...but not now. 

Hopefully, not any time in the future.

Asians in this part of the world are infamous in a way that they come to Scandinavia to hitch on their boyfriends' money and benefits; have kids with them, and receive money the government gives to their citizens (they would earn this money through their children who receive financial support from the country). While it would seem negative to other Caucasians at this part of the world, it really is not as bad as it looks because some couples actually love each other and want to start a family together.

On the other side of being Asian, there are also those who actually work hard to have a career, and who take courses to update themselves on the current trends in their areas of expertise before and/or while starting a family.

Then, I just kept asking myself why I did not get mad. Have I been accustomed to this or did I simply get older? That's a possibility, of course. Maybe, I was also more understanding of the Asian stereotypes some Caucasians still have of us. 

Either way, it felt great that I was more concerned of the reason why I did not get mad at that comment than getting mad at it as a reaction.

I also found it hilarious that she was more interested to know if I had kids than noticing how I am able to properly answer most of the questions in the group discussion.

"Not yet...?", I replied curtly.






Share:

0 comments