An Untimely Sprain

Fall is a very beautiful time of the year. The trees turn a different hue, and the falling leaves is a subtle reminder that winter is on its way. 

A few Autumns ago, it snowed a little. One can say that snow drizzled throughout the night and covered our lawn with it. It did not help that the sun was high up in the sky by lunchtime in time for me to walk my dog.

Most of the snow had started to melt and what was left on the ground seemed to be a thin layer of ice by noon. I walked by the park near my home and I slipped. Just like that. I was in excruciating pain for about a minute, and I could not stop screaming. I tried to shut my mouth, but it was too painful. I actually feared that I have broken my left ankle, or my left knee. The pain raged on my left side for about a minute or two, and I breathed heavily to silence myself afterwards. I did not want to make a scene despite the incident. My dog, Cash, seemed really scared. He was circling around me and suddenly sat and stayed by my side. He seemed nervous because I started screaming in pain. 

After several minutes, I was able to sit myself up and eventually stand up. It was only then I realized that I landed on the grass a step down and my head missed the cement a step above me by a few millimeters. I was pretty sure the edge of my head almost caught "the shadow" of what could have been pure and solid asphalt. Anyway, I inched my way back home, even with my rat terrier of a dog  kept pulling on the leash. 

Well, there's that. I took a walk to clear my head, and ended up with a serious injury. My ankle swelled and it was bruised all over. I couldn't walk properly for days, but there is that silver lining of my head missing the asphalt and my nape hitting the grass instead. Will I walk my dog again given this kind of weather? For sure. It is how life was essentially designed and braved. Daily.


Share:

0 comments