Press K To Kontinue

A Modicum of Anonymity | Press K to Kontinue


Imagine if we used only one letter for a specific sound in the alphabet.

In Swedish, the letters 'i', 'y', and 'e' almost has no difference in pronunciation. 'K' can sound like 'sh', which is how you sometimes pronounce 'tj'. "Gn" in a word is said as "ng", so "regnar" (raining) is actually pronounced as "rengnar". 'J' is pronounced as 'y', and sounds of 'o' and 'u' do not make any uncanny difference, except to the trained ear of a Swede. 

In Filipino, the national language (we have a gazillion number of dialects) in the Philippines (where I would like to think I had a flourishing career), 'c' and 'q' have been replaced by 'k'. Now, now. I am not THAT old, but I remember learning this when I was little, as opposed to the Modern Filipino Alphabet.

Letters. Alphabet. Words. We all use them in writing, of course.

Now that modern gadgets have revolutionized communication, these are more used than ever. As part of this "revolution", some have contracted the habit of sending emails to family and close friends when we remember something funny or find something interesting.

So, I opened my mail box to find something my brother remembered back in the Philippines. He said that a colleague of his, an engineer, would travel to the provinces for work and software support to clients.

I did mention the countless dialects we have so 'i' can sound as 'e', and so on.

One part of the program says, "Press any key [kay] to continue," and everyone would look for the letter 'K' and hit it, without fail. Every time. 

At first, I did not get it. Then, it hit me.

OH...ohkej.




Share:

0 comments